Monday, June 14, 2010

Maturity Growth Spurt

I have spent the good part of 12 hours today working on an Essay titled “Naturalism and Idealism of Sculptures in the Ancient Greek Classical Period”. Fingers crossed I get a good mark.

I must say I really enjoyed my time at the library today and yesterday. As crazy as this sounds, I felt like I was having a break! I came home feeling rejuvenated and happy! I'm not exactly sounding like the words best mum right now by admitting that I preferred to study at the library than be at home with the boys!
I am realising more and more that this whole weight loss journey is actually more than that. I think I am having a 'growth spurt' or should I say maturity spurt? I've had them in the past, when suddenly I realise that the essence of me has slightly changed and and I have grown more emotionally or mentally.
Man and I have really grown up together. I was just 18 and he was just 22 when we met. I think a big part of the success of our relationship is our ability to accept these 'maturity spurts' in each other.

Yesterday I explored my weight gain and last night after a bit of thinking about it I realised that in the past Man has been a bit of a saboteur. He would ask me to go to the corner shop for sweets and chips at night, or if I was having a weak moment he would bring home take away if I asked for it. I realised during this week that he no longer plays this role. Interestingly, I suspect he also has a warped body image of me. Similar to how I didn't notice me gaining weight, I don't think he has (well he has) as much. He does seem to see past my weight and really only notices it sometimes and seems surprised. But, having said that, he also seems to have forgotten that I was once thin... and this in turn makes me question if I was ever thin!

I have also noticed lately how supportive Man is of my studies. I spent 5 hours at the library today and 3 hours yesterday while he was at home playing mum. This is actually my 3rd attempt at returning to Uni. Both other times (one pre kids and one post 2 older kids) he was disinterested and was selfish in that he preferred me to spend time with him rather than at the the library. In the past if I was too tired to go to a lecture – he wouldn't push me. It seems that he has also had a 'maturity spurt'.

I have been thinking more about rewards for reaching weight loss goals today. Me joining the Gym was actually a reward for losing 10 kgs (well... 9.3). I have a couple of other things I want to start introducing into my life.

A lovely friend of mine goes to yoga and Bikram yoga a couple of times a week. I am really interested in both of them yet I feel I am not ready. I am also really taken with the idea of Zuma!

So, with this in mind I have been thinking that when I have lost another 10kgs I should join her at the normal yoga!

Another physical activity I miss is bike riding. I have a bike but I really need to get one of those trailers for the babies.

Anyway – here are my goal rewards:

130kgs – Start Yoga

120 kgs – get a bike trailer and go for bike rides with the family

110 kgs – to to Zumba classes

100 kgs – go to Bikram Yoga

I also have my other main goals that I had indicated:

135 kgs
124 kgs
96 kgs
80 kgs

These are more sentimental goals for me and I think I need to reward myself in a special way. Maybe buy something nice – new clothes, shoes or hand bag...or dare I say it... a new pram?

I wonder how long it will take me to be a mum of 4, who goes to the gym 6 times a week, does yoga, zumba and Bikram as well as studying at uni and being a hobbiest photographer going for bike rides?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...